Facilitated/Coached by Emily Rinkema and Stan Williams
Date: June 24 & 25, 2019 with an online follow up in August (prior to 8/9/2019
Hours: 8:30 registration 9:00-3:30 (lunch included) Recommended Text: The Standards-Based Classroom: Make Learning the GOAL.
Target Audience: School Teams interested in creating a strong standards-based learning environment
Using the foundational principles and guiding scales from the book The Standards-Based Classroom: Make Learning the Goal, teams of educators will set goals and work to create systems, structures, or strategies to improve learning in their classrooms, schools, or districts.
Facilitated and supported by long-time educators, proficiency-based coordinators, and authors Stan Williams and Emily Rinkema, these two days will be mostly work time. Teams of educators will communicate with the facilitators before arriving so that resources and support can be highly personalized based on team goals.
Teams may choose to work on one or more of the following targets to improve learning for student or adult learners, or may design their own targets based on individual needs:
· Develop course or unit KUDs to drive instruction and assessment.
· Create learning targets to articulate instructional goals.
· Develop instructional scales to drive instruction and assessment.
· Collaborate with special educators to improve learning for all.
· Design engaging summative assessments that provide reliable evidence of student achievement.
· Design formative assessment systems to support learning.
· Design instructional strategies to increase engagement and learning.
· Develop systems and strategies to more effectively differentiate.
· Develop systems for grading, tracking, and reporting that support learning
About our Presenters:
Emily Rinkema is a Proficiency-Based Learning Coordinator in the Champlain Valley School District in Vermont, spending half of her time supporting standards-based instruction and learning at the high school, and half supporting the middle schools……..
Stan Williams has taught and worked in the Champlain Valley School District for over twenty years. Currently, he is a Proficiency-Based Learning Coordinator for the district and spends his time supporting standards-based learning and instruction at the high school and the four district middle schools….