Instructor/Facilitator: Ellen Dorsey, Washington Central Supervisory Union Instructional Coach
(October 2018 – May, 2019) 3 Graduate St. Michael’s Credits
Target Audience: New and experienced instructional coaches, administrators interested in developing a coach approach.
Dates: October 15 and November 13, 2019, January 8, March 17, and May 6, 2020
Hours: 9 -3:30 pm (includes light breakfast & Lunch)Texts: Jim Knight’s Corwin books: Better Conversations: Coaching Ourselves and Each Other to be more Credible, Caring and Connected and
The Impact Cycle: What Instructional Coaches Should do to Foster Powerful Improvements in Teaching
This course is designed to meet the learning needs of coaches with varying levels of experience. The learning opportunities are designed to fit within Jim Knight’s framework for Instructional Coaching and the Instructional Coaching Practice Standards developed by the New Teacher Center.
Throughout the course, participants engage in coaching cycles both as a coach and as a coachee as they dig deeper into their own coaching practice and goals. The individual sessions are structured to provide participants with opportunities to reflect, address problems of practice (or “coaching conundrums”) and share resources and materials that will improve their effectiveness as a coach. Using a cohort approach, participants will connect with one another and other skilled practitioners who can speak to meeting the varied expectations of those in a coaching role.
Through this course, participants will:
· Deepen their understanding of the processes and protocols involved in facilitating an instructional coaching cycle;
· Explore ways to engage teachers in collaborative, instructionally focused, problem-solving conversations and reflective analysis to promote teacher agency.
· Design a professional learning plan (PLP) outlining goals for coaching.
· Understand, reflect on, and strategically respond to problems of practice associated with instructional coaching.
· Contribute to the development of a collaborative Instructional Playbook that can be used during coaching cycles.
Visit CVEDC’s site for more about our instructor/facilitators.