More than Just the Basic Facts: Model, Monitor, and Master/Workshop Full – Waitlist available
Christian Courtemanche, Instructor
(MMUU Math and Science Instructional Coach and longtime CVEDC presenter)
******February 7 has been rescheduled due to weather
New Date: March 9 and March 18, 2020 New Venue: Hampton Inn Time: 9:00 – 3:00 pm Coaches Corner 3-4 pm
Cost: CVEDC Members: $400 Non-members: $450 *cost includes game materials (dice, cards, etc.) and meals for both days
Target Audience: Grades K-4 educators, special educators, coaches and school/district-based teams
Mastery of addition facts is a key component for further work with larger numbers, fluency with subtraction, and application to multiplication, division, and fractions. So many students fall into traps of anxiety around mastering their basic facts. Others quickly memorize and then forget, leaving little strategy other than counting on fingers to fall back on when problems get more complex. How can we guide students toward fluency without fear or temporary shortcuts?
Over the two days, participants will focus on three areas for developing strong addition fact fluency that will last for years:
– Structure a routine for using 5-minute Number Talks that allow students to “discover” mental strategies for mastering facts
– Develop your own bank of Number Talks specifically tailored to addition basic fact mastery
– Connect various models for addition that both illustrate conceptual properties and help students visualize their mental strategies
– Incorporate a system for using quick formative assessment that provides individualized student feedback and targets specific instructional goals
– Compile a bank of powerful targeted games and instructional tools that support fact mastery
– Learn to match formative instruction with specific games
– Become familiar with math menu as a model for differentiating instruction
COACHES CORNER: The last hour of each session will be reserved for coaches and administrators interested in bringing the approach to a more systematic implementation: incorporating these structures into data team PLC systems, creating a vision and timeline for school- /district-wide implementation, and supporting teachers who are just getting started.
|Date:||October 1, 2019|
Christian Courtemanche (M.Ed) is the District K-4 Math and K-8 Science Instructional Coach in Mount Mansfield Unified Union School District. He has been in elementary and middle school education for over 10 years as both a classroom teacher and a curriculum specialist. As a elementary school teacher, Christian was recognized for his integration of music into curriculum and instruction. He was honored with the Praxis II Recognition of Excellence for being in the top 15% of all-time participants in the Elementary Ed: Content Knowledge exam. He teaches a graduate-level course through CVEDC on models for differentiation in mathematics as well as facilitates math and science committees, workshops, and professional development opportunities in rolling out and unpacking of CCSS-M and NGSS for districts and teams.
CVEDC supports Vermont ASCD and their mission. If you register for this CVEDC event, CVEDC will contribute $15 towards your VT ASCD member fee of $40 so that you will only be billed $25 for the year.
After submitting your CVEDC event registration, just go to the VT ASCD site and become a VTASCD member and indicate that you are using CVEDC15OFF as a code for $15 off. Go to www.vtascd.org for more information.